Email Robert M. DeNichilo
Tel: (877) 446-2529
Fax: (626) 449-5572
- Common Interest Developments
- Condominium Law
- Real Estate
- Corporate Law
- Corporate Counsel
- Loyola Law School, J.D.
- University of California, Irvine, B.A.
- California, 1993
- US District Court, Central District of California
- CAI-OC President Elect
- Past Co-Chair Legislative Support Committee,CAI-OC
- Board of Directors, CAI-OC
- CAI-OC Liaison to CAI’s California Legislative Action Committee
- CAI-OC Delegate to CAI’s California Legislative Action Committee
- Community Associations Institute (CAI)
- CAI College of Community Association Lawyers, Fellow
- CAI-OC, Author of the Year, 2018
- CAI-OC Legislative Support Committee Chair, Committee of the Year, 2016
- CAI-OC, Nominated Outstanding Service Award, 2016
- CAI-OC, Nominated for Author of the Year, 2013
- CAI-GRIE, Author of the Year, 2013
- CAI-OC, Nominated for Rising Star Award, 2012
Robert M. DeNichilo is a Partner at Richardson|Ober|DeNichilo. He has over twenty-five years of legal experience and focuses his practice exclusively on the representation of community associations as corporate counsel.
Robert began his career representing insurance carriers, providing them with insurance coverage advice and defending them in multi-million-dollar bad faith lawsuits, taking several of them to trial or resolving them by winning dispositive motions. After spending a decade as a litigator and insurance coverage lawyer, Robert transitioned his practice to representing small and medium sized businesses, providing general counsel advice, negotiating complex issues to get the parties to a “win-win,” and guiding boards in matters of corporate formation and governance. This led Robert to representing community associations, and he has devoted his practice exclusively to the representation of community associations for over a decade. His wide-ranging litigation and business experience benefits his clients as Robert is able to quickly identify the key issues and focus on what matters to leverage positive outcomes for his clients.
Robert is an active member of the Community Associations Institute (CAI) and has been awarded Author of the Year by multiple CAI chapters for his articles on community association issues. He serves as the CAI Orange County Regional Chapter’s delegate to CLAC and regularly meets with state and federal legislators to discuss issues related to community associations. In 2016, Robert was elected to the Orange County CAI Chapter’s Board of Directors. Additionally, Robert is one of fewer than 175 attorneys nationwide to be admitted as a Fellow of CAI’s College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL). CCAL Fellows are recognized for committing themselves to high standards of professional and ethical conduct.
As a strong advocate for education for community association managers and boards, Robert regularly speaks at educational and training events for industry organizations, property management companies, and board members throughout California. Robert is the founder of HOABrief.com where he frequently provides expert insight on community association topics. He has contributed to industry and national publications including CAI Connect, CAI’s OC View, USA Today, Common Ground and Habitat Magazine.
- Responding to An Accommodation Request? What’s Your Policy? OC View (CAI Orange County Regional Chapter), January/February 2017 *Awarded “Author of the Year” by the Orange County Chapter of CAI
- Who’s the Boss? The National Labor Relations Board’s New Standard for Determining Joint Employment May Make Community Associations and Management Companies Responsible for Contractors’ Pay, Benefits and Legal Liability, CAI National Magazine, Common Ground, September/October 2016
- The ABC’s of ADR & IDR, OC View (CAI Orange County Regional Chapter), March/April 2015 *Nominated for Author of the Year Award
- Protecting a Board Member’s Emails, OC View (CAI Orange County Regional Chapter), January/February 2013
- “Yay! I’m on the Board!” or, “OMG, What Did I Get Myself Into?” Connect Magazine (CAI GRIE Regional Chapter) Issue Three, 2013 *Awarded “Article of the Year”
- What Makes for a Good Set of Meeting Minutes? OC View (CAI Orange County Regional Chapter), November/December 2012
- “Are You Effectively Bridging the Communication Gap Using Digital Media?”
- “Build Your Rule-Making Toolbox,”
- “Community Associations and the Joint Employer Conundrum: Is the Association Vendor its Employee?”
- “Governing Document Amendments – The Whys and the How To and Process of Changing an Association’s CC&Rs and Bylaws”
- “Handling Bad-Boy Board Members and Out-of-Bounds Owners”
- “Housing in California; How the High Cost of Housing is Impacting California’s Community Associations”
- “Improve Your HOA Meetings: What You Need to Know About Robert’s Rules and Other Parliamentary Procedures”
- “Power to the People: Recalls, Petitions, and Other Demands for Board Action”
- “Short-Term Rentals: Long-Term Enforcement Strategies”
Select Courses, Authored and Taught
- Served as faculty for CAI Orange County Regional Chapter, Community Leadership Training Program, “Community Association Law” Course, September 2012
What Clients Are Saying
"Robert DeNichilo is an incredible attorney to work with! He is extremely responsive, educated and accomplished with all respects to Associations and the legal needs of our Communities. I couldn't ask for a better manager/attorney relationship." - Arielle Marion, CMCA, AMS, PCAM Director of Community Management
"Great team of attorneys to work with! Quick to respond to emails and phone calls." - Client Testimonial
"Great legal team. Robert is always quick to respond to any questions."
"The best legal presentation I’ve ever attended!"