One hour of CAM ICB Credit is approved for this presentation.
This presentation is a general risk management webinar, addressing the various protections available for California HOA directors, and discussing the ways well-intentioned volunteers can step outside of those protections.
We will provide an overview, and will be appropriate for the beginning manager, but also will have more advanced discussion of how to train volunteers to recognize where they are stepping into unsafe territory. The presentation will include a review of state statutes and leading appellate cases on the subject.
The topics covered will include:
- Why and how the formalities of corporate process are important
- The elements of the business judgment rule
- How directors step outside of the BJR
- Limits of the BJR – From case law
- Errors and omissions insurance
- Attitudes fostering risk postures/behaviors
- How the manager responds to clients who do not follow advice, and do not seek legal counsel